Water Stain Removal
Flood Restoration Tips
Removing Water Stain From Carpet
Regrettably, carpets stain. Wine, cola, blood, and makeup can all leave difficult to remove stains on a carpet. However, who would have imagined plain old water could actually stain a carpet? Well, it can. Small quantities of sediment dissolved in the water can be left behind once a water spot dries, leaving an obvious tell tale stain. Fortunately, in most cases, a water stain is not difficult to remove.
Clean dry terry towel
- Water stains on natural fibers may develop into what is referred to as “cellulose browning”. This type of water stain can solely be removed by a trained carpet cleaning technician.
Synthetic Fibers (Nylon, Polypropylene)
- Combine a 50/50 solution of half water together with half white vinegar. The vinegar is acidic and will neutralize the alkalinity of the sediment that is creating the water stain.
- Dampen a clean white terry towel with the pre-made water and vinegar solution.
- Rub the dampened towel lightly over the water spot. The aim of this is to have the tips of the carpet fibers wet and not to soak the carpet.
- Allow the carpet fibers to dry. Hopefully, the stain has come out or has otherwise lessened. If the stain has diminished but still noticeable, continue repeating the water/vinegar procedure until the stain has gone. Again, allowing the fibers adequate drying time between each application.
- The most significant thing you can do to stop your carpet from staining is to react promptly to any spills. Blot up liquids using white paper towels or a clean absorbent cloth. Blot (never rub) the spill and work from the outside into the middle. Consequently, rubbing will only spread the stain over a bigger area.
- Solutions that clean clothing, will often also clean your carpets. Especially noteworthy, a laundry pre-treating product on fresh marl or spill will most likely help prevent it from permanently staining.
- Each time you are trying to remove any stains from your carpet, at all times, the first test in an inconspicuous spot such as inside a wardrobe or area covered by heavy unmoved furniture.
In any event, simply call NZ Steam ‘n’ Dry on 0800 783 266